ORS is now a FREE recycling center for all latex and oil-based paint and stains!!
Washington’s new paint stewardship law requires the paint manufacturing industry to develop a financially sustainable and environmentally responsible program to manage post-consumer architectural paint.
The program includes education about buying the right amount of paint, tips for using up remaining paint, and setting up convenient recycling locations throughout the state.
Paint manufacturers established PaintCare, a nonprofit organization, to run paint stewardship programs in states with applicable laws.
These products have a fee when you buy them and are accepted for free at drop-off sites:
• Interior and exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (including textured coatings)
• Deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric)
• Primers, sealers, undercoaters
• Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component)
• Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
• Metal coatings, rust preventatives • Field and lawn paints
Leaking, unlabeled, and empty containers are not accepted at drop-off sites.
Non-PaintCare Products (not accepted):
• Paint thinners, mineral spirits, solvents • Aerosol paints (spray cans)
• Auto and marine paints
• Art and craft paints
• Caulk, epoxies, glues, adhesives
• Paint additives, colorants, tints, resins
• Wood preservatives (containing pesticides) • Roof patch and repair
• Asphalt, tar and bitumen-based products
• 2-component coatings
• Deck cleaners
• Traffic and road marking paints
• Industrial Maintenance (IM) coatings
• Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) (shop application) paints and finishes
These items should be brought to our hazardous waste collection events.