POSITION: Exchange General Manager
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Exchange General Manager will serve as the primary manager of the Exchange reuse facility, with primary responsibility for managing the facility’s day-to-day activities and operations, directing and coordinating the work of professional staff, volunteers, managing the flow of inventory in and out of the facility, maintaining the building itself and providing a clean and safe environment, developing the policies for staff and inventory management. With responsibility for the financial performance of this line of business, the Store Manager will oversee the acquisition, management and sales of reuse materials.
The General Manager will ensure that the reuse facility is running efficiently and professionally, and that its inventory is meeting the needs of the coommunity, while removing as much useable material from the waste stream as possible, in keeping with the ORS Mission statement.
The General Manager must identify strongly with the zero-waste mission of ORS and The Exchange. She/he will have a strong sense of ethics, and will fully embrace the policies set forth by the Board in regards to materials management–particularly making sure that the materials that come and go are handled fairly and directed towards the community’s best interest.
- Work with the E.D. and staff to lead The Exchange in setting overall direction and priorities, and develop and implement programmatic and organizational strategies, policies, and goals;
- Meet regularly with the E.D. to review financial management, human resources, administration and operations; ensure thorough effective supervision that day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered; develop budgets and reporting standards; work with staff to maintain the organization’s financial and administrative well-being;
- Assure that the facility is operating at maximum efficiency and with the highest regard for the safety of staff & the public;
- Assist the E.D. with media strategy including corporate identity and Public Relations in all forms;
- Ensure internal communication and coordination among staff; evaluate staff performance; and recruit new staff when appropriate;
- Keep the E.D. informed of operational goals and programs, staff developments; regularly brief the E.D., and Board of Directors (if requested) on the status of the organization; remain actively in touch with and well-informed about the Board’s activities; and provide information to help the Board formulate effective policies.
ADDITIONAL SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that safety and health procedures are followed and working conditions are safe
- Schedules paid and volunteer staff
- Regularly reviews direct reports
- Holds regularly scheduled staff meetings
- Works with board committees, provides feedback
- Maintains the Exchange facility and reports any needed repairs to the E.D.
- Maintains a safe, clean and tidy environment for staff and customers
- Coordinate overload pickups with Goodwill, Salvation Army, Habitat etc;
- Coordinates events (ie: ART Show, Halloween, Trashion Fashion, Solstice Parade)
- Organize workshops on repair, up-cycling, and other green concept
SKILLS, TALENTS, ABILITIES
- Experience with retail operations management experience, applicable to a small reuse business including managing budgets, forecasting, and achieving results
- Store layout and merchandising
- Great people skills – building rapport, developing diversity as a resource
- Leader by example, hands-on, but also willing to learn and follow others
- Computer proficiency: MS Office, social media and web-based applications
- Knowledge/experience with second-hand materials is very helpful
Full time position; salary & benefits commensurate with experience.
Submit a cover letter and resume to ORS, PO Box 91, Eastsound WA 98245 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are always looking for talented, committed people to be a part of our zero-waste mission. Drop by the transfer station and pick up an application anytime;
If you want to be a part of what we are doing here, we want to know about you!